I had the opportunity to sit down with Doug Franklin, President of Leadertreks, and ask him some questions about dealing with difficult volunteers. This short video is packed with some great wisdom on this difficult subject. You can follow Doug on Twitter @dougfranklin and make sure you subscribe to his blog at www.dougfranklinonline.com.
I’d recommend showing this video to your team and then discuss the questions below.
- What consequences have you seen when a leader doesn’t deal with a difficult volunteer?
- What makes it difficult to confront these issues?
- What are some things you have found helpful in addressing a difficult volunteer?
- Is there a situation you are facing right now that you aren’t sure how to handle? Without disclosing too much information or violating a confidence get advice from those you are discussing the video with.
- What actions steps do you need to take today to help you be a better manager of your volunteers?